Tuesday, November 3, 2009

NO on 1

Today was a big day for Maine – voting day! The big question on the ballot this time around is question one. This question states "Do you want to reject the new law that lets same-sex couples marry and allows individuals and religious groups to refuse to perform these marriages?”

This issue, it appears, has really drawn people out the polls. Today we saw huge numbers of people making it out to vote, much more than expected. I am now waiting to watch the results roll in, hoping the “no” camp can pull it off.

The part about this issue is that it is an issue at all. My view is that if the State is going to recognize marriage between a man and a woman than, of course, a same-sex marriage should also be recognized. In my opinion marriage is a vastly a religious practice and it may not have a place in the government.

At this point, it makes more sense to me to separate church and state. For the purposes of the government and health care and other legal realms all couples should be required to join themselves in a civil union. Then beyond that, for religious or family reasons those couples can get married. I’m sure there are tons of problems hidden in this idea, but to me it seems like the fairest solution for the issue at hand.

There you have it, my opinion on civil unions and marriage and all that. Here is to hoping that the “no” voters came out in force in Maine today. I would be proud to reside in a state that recognizes gay marriage!

No comments:

Post a Comment