Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Lars and the Real Girl

Perhaps, no definitely, one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. It’s bizarre, quirky and fun. Def. a real “feel-good” movie. Lars and the Real Girl is about a lonely man who decides, simply, not to be lonely any more. The cast is outstanding: Ryan Gosling, Emily Mortimer, Paul Schneider … just to name a few.

At first when I read the plot (guy falls for sex doll) I thought this might be a laugh, but is prolly a little to over the top for my taste. I stand corrected. This movie was hilarious, terribly sad, heart-warming and heart breaking. The range of emotion felt while watching this film was intense. Literally LOLing throughout, this movie has some really funny aspect to it. However, it turns out, that isn’t why this movie captivated me as it did. The underlying story line of compassion and community are really was struck me with this film.

It is, in fact about a guy who falls for his sex doll. The best part (according to me, at least) is that he doesn’t even sleep in the same room with her! Lars’ bother and sister-in-law put her to bed each night, while he sleeps in his garage apartment. At first everyone is appalled that Lars is in love with a doll, but it doesn’t take long before the community embraces his doll as one of them. The reasons for Lars toting around this doll are explored throughout the movie as well as how much the community takes her in.

Absolutely, I recommend this movie to anyone looking for a good film to make them laugh and cry. This is not a light comedy, but at the same time it does not at all get bogged down with some of the more serious aspects of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment